Windows 10 accessing NAS server

I thought I was a techo but I just can’t find this info.
I have just installed Jellyfin (v10.6.4) on a Windows10 PC x64. The server is working perfectly and I am happily able to play music remotely from my mobile through my Denon amp. Beautiful.
However all my music is on my WD My Cloud EX2 NAS server. It is accessible from my PC through both UNC (\Servername\Public\My Music) and Drive: (S:\My Music).
But using either of those paths gives the error: ‘The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again.’
I can see suggestions about mounting the drive, but how do I do that in Windows?

When installing Jellyfin, did you use the “Basic Install” or “Install as a Service” option?

I’m running a Win10 server with content stored on a NAS.

Assuming S:\My Music is a mapped network drive in windows I’ve had issues like this before, try replacing it with the network address, this is mine

Also, you may have more luck without the space in the drive name, sometimes windows forgets it’s supposed to be ok with spaces in filenames

I’ve just resolved this last night by removing and reinstalling Jellyfin, but this time not ‘Installing as a service’ – which was my preferred method.

So now it’s apparently running under my User account and has access to the network share address (ie [\server\music](file://server/music))

I would still appreciate some guidance on how to configure Jellyfin to access my shared drive (\server\music) when it’s running as a service - if this is indeed possible.

Thanks for the hints…

D

To use your windows-useraccount when installing Jellyfin as a service:

• Type Services in start menu.
  • Locate jellyfin and open it.
  • Go to the Log On tab and enter your windows account/password.
  • Restart.

I’m not sure those steps do it, but it doesn’t hurt.

I don’t ever run it as a service myself, so I don’t really know a good answer. It’s an issue because without logging in, how do you provide credentials for Explorer to connect to a share? Does it even mount the share before you login?

An even easier way to “cheat” it would be trying to set it to run as Local System. Just beware - going from one config to another, you might run in to permission issues where one account can’t access the files. I think that’s only when going from Service > Basic though. You didn’t mention any problems, so I guess you’re fine.

So do I have to reinstall Jellyfin to change it to a service? Or can I reconfigure it somehow?

Thanks

You know what? I’ll try it and find out for you. I have a test library for this exact purpose.

1 Like

If your reason for wanting to run Jellyfin as a service is so that it is always active and will survive a reboot of Windows without requiring a login to restart the server, I suggest you consider running Jellyfin in a Docker container on your NAS. That’s what I’ve done with My WD PR-4100, and I think your NAS should have the same capabilities. If you need any pointers on how to do this, let me know, including how familiar you are with Docker.

I’m familiar with the Docker concept but have never used it, or even considered that it would be possible to run in my NAS.

But that’s a great idea, so any guidance would be most welcome.

On a related matter, I’ve now sorted out all the meta data for my audio files. I used mp3tag and that was brilliant once I worked it out.

But how would I do that for my movies in such a situation? Especially my home movies where I have to manually set them, preferably in bulk and not one by one?

Regards and thanks,

David

This may be overkill, but I’m putting it all down in case someone else stumbles across this thread and it helps them.

Let me start off by stating I was an absolute novice (I had never even heard of Docker) and have no real Linux knowledge but I do come from an IT background and I have used some limited Linux commands via. Putty with SSH enabled on my NAS. If you’re comfortable with basic computer architecture and software tools it should be a relatively easy. If you need background on Putty, SSH, and WinSCP for a WD NAS, it is here: https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26497/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTk3NDQwMzQ3L2dlbi8xNTk3NDQwMzQ3L3NpZC9mVUJMM3ppUTdXa2VLSk1Fc0pPY2xvT2FNMzRWV251bXM3NVVrVnR4NUJySSU3RWJCeVdQUVZLU3hYZ1VDVXJLSFBPYVFHSW1rbTBKMlg1aVNrblNSVlRoSWlQUjNJanVGbEV5dFNPVXFYMk9RRW8lN0VDZnJNSFpfZnB3JTIxJTIx.

First, make sure there is a version of Docker for your NAS here: https://wdcommunity.com/. You can either go ahead and install it (I assume you know how to install apps manually) or wait until you complete the (optional but extremely helpful) next step to make sure this Docker is something you will be comfortable with. It comes with Portainer, a Docker front-end manager, but I found it virtually impossible to figure out how to use it with just a basic understanding of Docker. It starts up when you go to configure Docker on the NAS, which makes it seem like it’s necessary, but it’s not as long as you are comfortable with Putty or an equivalent (WinSCP is also helpful).

Next, if necessary get a basic understanding and command of Docker. I found this free online course https://kodekloud.com/p/docker-for-the-absolute-beginner-hands-on that gave me all I needed to know in a couple of hours. It has video instruction and hands-on labs (that do not require you to have Docker installed). If your comfortable with basic computer architecture and software tools it should be a breeze. I did the first three sections: Introduction, Docker Commands, and Docker Run. I think the first two would have been enough. There’s also a YouTube version without the labs, but I found practicing with it was very helpful and let me play with my Jellyfin configuration until I got it right.

Finally, review the installing Jellyfin on Docker documentation here: https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/administration/installing.html#docker. We are going to be following the command line interface section, with some minor modifications.

I also found this link very helpful as a guide and in understanding what each of the commands being executed were doing: https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/comments/erccwn/jellyfin_on_docker_for_dummies/

Now you’re ready to get going.

Step 1: Figure out where your Media files are located on the NAS and how you want them to be organized in Jellyfin. As an example, I keep my media in separate directories, and each would end up as a separate library in Jellyfin. They were located and named as below:

/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Public/Music/Music Library
/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Public/Video/TV Shows

2: Login to your NAS with Putty (or alternative).

3 (Optional): Verify you’ve got Docker running by executing the following command: docker run hello-world. You should get confirmation back from Docker.

4: (This is optional, but recommended. Using bind mounts will give you easier access to the files Jellyfin creates on your NAS.)
a: Use mkdir - p command to create a subdirectory in your NAS_Prog directory named jellyfin.
b: Create subdirectories under jellyfin named config and cache.

5: Make magic happen: Execute the following command in Putty:

You will note that this is missing some of the command line parameters mentioned in other posts, but I found them unnecessary or they failed to work on the WD NAS.

6: If everything went smoothly, you should be able to start Jellyfin by entering ipaddress.of.NAS:8096 in your browser.

Hope this helps!

As far as metadata for home movies, I didn’t set any. I just loaded them in using the recommended naming and organization conventions I used in Plex.

This is fantastic, but sadly I got snookered at the first hurdle - my version of the WD My Book EX2 doesn’t have a Docker binary available. :frowning:
Really appreciate this info, and hope others can use it.
D

I don’t know which version of the EX2 you have, but if you can find a listed model that has the same firmware or matches your firmware level (Gen. 1 vs Gen 2) you might be able to install a .bin file from a different model. Who knows; maybe it will work. Maybe Portainer doesn’t work but Jellyfin does. You can test it as I described in step 3.