Jellyfin Forum
SOLVED: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - Printable Version

+- Jellyfin Forum (https://forum.jellyfin.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-support)
+--- Forum: Troubleshooting (https://forum.jellyfin.org/f-troubleshooting)
+--- Thread: SOLVED: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV (/t-solved-jellyfin-keeps-restarting-on-lg-tv)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - AlternateWitness - 2023-08-05

(2023-08-05, 05:40 PM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: The messages about not finding media, probably a bug and harmless.  I have those messages as well after I remounted my hard drive at a different path.  Let's start with turning off DLNA and see how things go.

Sounds good. Thanks for all of your help! It apparently needed some investigating even though it was a simple thing, I appreciate your time!

RE: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - AlternateWitness - 2023-10-07

(2023-08-04, 02:17 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: For that second log, is that the entire thing?  Seems incomplete.

Do you have DLNA on?  Do you use it?  If not, turn it off?  Seems like it is crashing due to some DLNA issue.

Can you restart Jellyfin and then play a video, reproduce the issue, and post the jellyfin log?  I don't see any playback related logs.

Hi, sorry to bring this up again. I don’t use my LG tv a lot, but when I do use it I really need to use it. The issue is happening again now that I’m back on the TV, and DLNA is off. Sorry for bringing this back up, but I’m so frustrated with this I don’t know what else to do at this point.

RE: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-07

At this point you should bypass the built in Android TV. They're fine when they're new but age poorly and quickly, don't get updates or fixes from very long.

Get a dongle. I like the Chromecast with Google TV. A lot of people like Rokus. Money no object, the Nvidia Shield.

RE: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - AlternateWitness - 2023-10-07

(2023-10-07, 01:12 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: At this point you should bypass the built in Android TV.  They're fine when they're new but age poorly and quickly, don't get updates or fixes from very long. 

Get a dongle.  I like the Chromecast with Google TV.  A lot of people like Rokus.  Money no object, the Nvidia Shield.

So this is for sure a hardware problem? That's pretty disappointing, given that's the main TV my family uses and they never used Jellyfin on it because it doesn't work for half of my media. It's really weird that this works on some media, and not on others, with no difference between the media. It's also pretty inconvenient I need to get smart TV adapter for just Jellyfin and everything else is on the main smart TV. I don't think I'd get one, which is lame. I don't use that TV often anyway, it's mainly my families, but it sucks that whenever I do I just want to watch stuff on my Jellyfin server.

I considered a used Nvidia shield in the past, but they stopped making them. Nvidia does good on supporting their devices for a long time, but the newest version doesn't have the support for the newest codecs, and since it's been years I have no idea how long it will be supported.

Thanks for your quick responses despite this being a really old thread.

Last chance, nothing I could do to get it conceivably working? Like limiting the bitrate to a really low number? Transcoding everything? I see this only happening while direct playing content, but not all of it.

RE: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - TheDreadPirate - 2023-10-07

This is a client side problem and we have little or no information to work with. Even if we have more information, it could very well be that its a bug that requires a code change.

We could install the debug version of the Jellyfin Android TV app and that would produce a stack trace that a developer could work with. But, because of the nature of open source, who knows when it would actually get worked on.

IMO, and in a lot of other people's opinion, smart TVs are not ideal because of how rapidly Android changes vs how rarely TV makers updates their TVs vs how rarely most of us buy new TVs. Then you have the issue of codec support being static and new codecs coming around, etc.

Hence my suggestion to get a cheap dongle. You get the equivalent experience as the built in smart TV capabilities and can update it cheaply when needed.

RE: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - captntuli - 2023-10-14

Android tv app on nvidia shield crashes constantly too. There's definitely problems with the android tv app.

RE: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - AlternateWitness - 2023-10-14

(2023-10-07, 01:53 AM)TheDreadPirate Wrote: This is a client side problem and we have little or no information to work with.  Even if we have more information, it could very well be that its a bug that requires a code change.

We could install the debug version of the Jellyfin Android TV app and that would produce a stack trace that a developer could work with.  But, because of the nature of open source, who knows when it would actually get worked on.

IMO, and in a lot of other people's opinion, smart TVs are not ideal because of how rapidly Android changes vs how rarely TV makers updates their TVs vs how rarely most of us buy new TVs.  Then you have the issue of codec support being static and new codecs coming around, etc.

Hence my suggestion to get a cheap dongle.  You get the equivalent experience as the built in smart TV capabilities and can update it cheaply when needed.

(2023-10-14, 01:51 AM)captntuli Wrote: Android tv app on nvidia shield crashes constantly too. There's definitely problems with the android tv app.

Thanks, I did some research and ordered a Roku. Apparently any streaming sticks I had in storage were way too outdated for Jellyfin. I know Roku is Linux-based, so hopefully I’ll have a bit more luck with that, and it’s one of the more popular streaming sticks out there, so I hope Jellyfin is more optimized for that also.

I’m kind of looking forward to it, at least the tv probably won’t be so slow anymore, and it would be nice to be able to decode AV1 now without getting a new TV. I think I got a decent deal on eBay. I’ll see what happens, thanks again!

RE: Jellyfin Keeps Restarting on LG TV - Deleted User - 2023-10-14

(2023-10-14, 01:51 AM)captntuli Wrote: Android tv app on nvidia shield crashes constantly too. There's definitely problems with the android tv app.

there's definitely problems with shield

i would recommend providing a log for your issues, i use the android tv app and i know exactly what the deficiencies are on my devices and they are not due to the app